Waste Management and Critical Raw Materials – Life Cycle Assessment Methodologies
The aim of the lectures in this section is to introduce learner’s the principles of the water, soil and waste environmental monitoring and decontamination technologies. In this frame, special case studies in mining and industry areas will be presented to show possible technologies for environmental status improvement. To this direction, attendees will be introduced to Life Cycle Assessment, what it is about and how to conduct a LCA.
The Course Outline is presented below:
- Introduction of water, soil and waste sampling principles in mining and industry areas.
- Examples of the sampling methods at the site.
- Description of the soil and waste sample preparation.
- Methods and techniques for samples analysing.
- Description of the sampling, sample preparation and chemical analyses of water, soil and waste – movie.
- Introduction to various environmental pollutants
- Wastewater management stages
- Existing and upcoming (under research) technologies
- Introductory view to Life Cycle Assessment
- Methodology for conducting LCA
- Research and examples.
- The evaluation questionnaire is an indicator of the success of the course. A 10 questions exam at the end of the course)
Upon successful completion of the course, learners:
- Will be fully informed about the importance of the environmental monitoring in mining and industry areas.
- Will learn principles for sampling and sample preparation for analysing of waters, soil and wastes.
- Will be introduced to the wealth of the advanced analysing methods and techniques for environmental assessment.
- Will get the newest knowledge regarding waste management principles and possibilities and consequently critical raw materials benefits.
- Will be able to consider joining to Waste Management and Critical Raw Materials activities and support efforts for future better environmental condition.
- Will be sufficiently convinced and led into a favourable attitude towards the acceptance of such activities, that they will not try to prevent them.
- Will become more familiar with environmental assessment and life cycle concepts and better consider world industry challenges in future.
- Will be capable of accessing and questioning existent data repositories as well as begin to develop their own.
- The specific course aims to introduce to the next generation of chemists, technologists and entrepreneurs the importance of environmental assessment, waste management, critical raw materials and life cycle assessment in the industry.
- Upon successful completion of the course, participants will know the next concepts:
- Fundamentals in environmental assessment,
- Sampling and analysing equipment,
- Importance of environmental assessment, waste management, critical raw materials and life cycle assessment in the industry.